Along with the boxes I make for sale I also offer a commissioning service for people who need a bespoke box.
All the boxes on the gallery page are commissions. Due to the “one off” nature of commissioned pieces the price is considerably higher than boxes made for sale through the website. The prices range from £1000.00 to over £4000.00.
There is normally some toing and froing at the start of the commissioning process as I ascertain exactly what you need. This is normally done by email and sometimes involves sketches sent by both parties. I will make suggestions when appropriate and with input from both parties I will produce a box design.
Before I begin making the box I ask for a deposit payment of 30% and final payment before I mail the box. I will send you images of the box on completion.
I make very substantial packing cases in mdf so the box is well protected in transit.
It is very helpful to me if you can give a little thought to exactly what you would like and with this in mind I have put together a list of things to think about.
(1) Do you have a design of box you would like to base yours on? This could be similar to one of the boxes on my website or one you have found on the internet. If you have a design in your head then any sketches would be extremely helpful no matter how basic they are.
(2) Do you have a particular species of wood or combination of woods you would like the box to be made of?
(3) If the box is going to house a particular item I will need either an accurate template or ideally the item itself. If you want a box to have trays or drawers or a combination of both and you want compartments of a certain size I will need to know those sizes.
(4) Do you need any lettering (i.e initials, date etc). If so I need to know the lettering.
(5) Do you want a lock on the box.
(6) Finally is there is any other information you can give me to help me to understand exactly what you require.